This page focuses on tips, hints and storys related to Amels or owners of Amels. As most Amel users speak English, it is published in English language only. The page is under development, so there is not much content at the moment. To get the story or information please click on the listed point below.
Contents posted so far:
– Fully battened main and mizzen
– Replacement of control cables – steering system Amel 54
Fully battened main and mizzen
Since 2016 our Mago del Sur is equipped with fully battened main and mizzen.
In this report we talk about our experiences.
As the report linked above mentions a number of companies that might be of interest to those who are interested in the subject and would like to seek advice or are even thinking about ordering a new sailing wardrobe, here are a few more links:
- Incidence Sails – Successor company to Deme-Sails, sail outfitter of Amel for decades
- Segelwerkstatt Stade – excellent sailmaker, has tailored a fully battened mainsail, a fully battened mizzen, genoa and jib for us
- Beilken – made a full-battened main and mizzen for the Supermaramu Stenella in 2012. Unfortunately the company had to file for insolvency in 2019 and it seems that it no longer exists. This is a great pity because for a long time it was something of a technological pioneer and a determining factor in the German offshore regatta scene. (So unfortunately no link here).
- Elvström – For some time now Elvström offers fully battened sails with a so-called square top under the product name FatFurl.
Control cable replacement – steering system Amel 54
In March 2023 we had an interaction of some Orcas near Barbate, South of Spain which ended up in two destroyed steering cables. Luckily we had spare cables on board. The replacement was a certain kind of challenge, which encouraged us to share our experienses: